See something that looks familiar here? Perhaps you saw it first over at Family Home and Life, my other blog.

Saturday, December 30, 2017

* Black Eyed Peas and Cornbread Cakes


I love Cornbread and I love Blackeyed Peas so why haven't I written this post before? I have no idea but I wanted to do something for New Years Day and you should be eating Blackeyed Peas for good luck on New Year's Day right? You have time to go to the grocery for ingredients before tomorrow. Here's how I make this dish. Remember that it's only Papa and I eating this (it is enough for dinner and lunch the next day) so you may want to double the recipe if you have more people to feed. This is a very frugal dish to make.




Start by placing 1 cup of Blackeyed Peas in a pot and cover with 5-6 cups of water. You may want to add more water later. Bring to a boil and turn the heat very low and simmer. Most people soak the peas over night but I usually don't remember to do that.

I often cook them with chopped ham or a ham bone; sausage is good as well as bacon. I am cooking the bacon separate this time as to not add the fat to the peas. Also I really like the crunch of the crisp fried bacon.


You could also add some type of fresh or frozen greens (2-4 cups of kale, collards or even spinach) at this point, but the man of the house wouldn't eat it if I do so I leave them out.  A can of chopped stewed tomatoes, chopped Thyme or Rosemary is a really nice addition too but I don't add them for the same reason as not adding the greens :) Continue to cook another half hour or a full hour until the peas are soft and your additions are cooked. 




Serve the Blackeyed Peas over a Cornbread Cake and garnish with crisp fried bacon.





Now that's the way to start a new year, with delicious and healthy food. Well, this is my last post of this year. It has been a year that was busy and full; and very blessed. There were trials and issues to overcome, but we came through it all together.


First published at Family Home and Life. Copyright © 2013-18 by Hill House Homestead ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

4 comments:

  1. I am like you I love Black eyed peas and cornbread. I never thought of doing cornbread cakes! This is awesome! I have a pot of Black eyed peas that was left over from Tuesday so I am going to try this for lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love cornbread, but never really had black eyed peas. Guess I need to! :) Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks terrific! Just getting my appetite back after a horrible cold that lasted 10 days. Just the thought of getting dressed, off the couch, and to the store to buy simple ingredients like these makes me feel much better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am a cornbread lover, and the way the black eyed peas are made and then put on top looks delicious. I can't wait to try the recipe, thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Gosh I love to read your comments! Thanks for leaving one :)