See something that looks familiar here? Perhaps you saw it first over at Family Home and Life, my other blog.

Friday, August 9, 2013

* Sweet & Sour Cucumber Salad

I don't like cucumbers, and I am not a big fan of pickles. But this Cucumber Salad is just perfect and I love it! It is super easy and is best made the night before though you can serve after an hour in the fridge.





Cucumber Salad

4 cucumbers, sliced thin
¼  of a white onion thinly sliced
1 tb of chopped fresh dill
¾ c of apple cider vinegar
¾ c sugar
½ tsp of salt


Peel skin from cucumbers leaving a strip of peel creating stripes to make it pretty. (If you don't like the peel, then peel it all the way off.) Slice thinly and place in a large bowl. Add onions and dill. In a microwavable container, mix sugar, vinegar and salt and microwave till it almost boils, about 1 1/2 minutes. Pour over cucumbers and stir. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and stir every now and then. Refrigerate at least one hour before serving, overnight is best.* Serve using a slotted spoon.

*It will seem as if there is not enough of the vinegar/sugar mixture but as the cucumbers marinade in it, they will release their moisture and you will have a lot of juice in the bowl.

* This post first appeared at Family Home & Life.

Copyright © 2013 by Hill House Homestead ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

3 comments:

  1. Love this! Made it several times

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a fan of bread and butter pickles and havent had them in years. I'll try these. I shouldn't have the sugar. Would honey work or rice syrup?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can try it for sure but I have only used sugar. If you do, please let us know how it taste!

    ReplyDelete

Gosh I love to read your comments! Thanks for leaving one :)