You would think that in all my crafting years I would have made several wreaths, but no, this was the first. I really wanted to have something patriotic for the Fourth of July, but I was tired of my same 'ole things. I decide a wreath was what I needed. I choose to not hang it outside but to hang it from an old door I have inside. I like it, it is westerny...yes... but also very 4th of July.
I started with a pool noodle from the dollar store. These noodles are usually smaller and shorter than other noodles; this one is right at 4 feet long. I twisted an empty toilet paper roll to fit into the noodle opening then holding the ends together (you can use any cardboard - even from food boxes) then I taped it well. If this was going to go outside, I would have used a sturdier tape like duct tape.
I tore white fabric with a faint pattern on it for interest into three strips, apx. 3 inches wide; they are about 3 1/2-4 feet long. I wanted the texture if the torn edge but it could be cut. First I taped down one end of the strip to the pool noodle, then I wound the white fabric around my pool noodle wreath base covering apx. 1/3 of it. Next, using red bandannas (because I already had them) I wound them around the next third of the noodle. I could have cut them in half, but I am a cheapskate and wanted them left whole in case I want to use them again for something else.
Last I used denim scrapes from the denim jeans leftovers (see my denim projects here); a strip down the leg side and two top bands. I like the texture the seams added. As I wrapped it I made sure the edges and parts I wanted to show were left uncovered and positioned right. I used tape on the ends to secure it tightly. Tape is a good way to audition the placement before committing to glue. If I were putting this outside, I would use hot glue to secure it and remove my tape. I made sure all the taped ends were on the back out of sight.
Lastly, I cut out stars from felt, stitched around them with a little stuffing on the inside. Here is where I found the idea for the stars. I pushed a pipe cleaner/chenille stem inside the stars and then tucked the other end of the pipe cleaner/chenille stem under a fabric flap. I used a pipe cleaner strip in the back to hang it from too. I have to say I really like my wreath but after looking at it awhile, I think it needs two or three more stars, a couple of them larger than what I already have, then it will be perfect. I just need to go buy more felt.
Hill House Homestead is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Copyright © 2017 by Hill House Homestead ALL RIGHTS RESERVED