See something that looks familiar here? Perhaps you saw it first over at Family Home and Life, my other blog.

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Perfect Boiled Eggs

Do you know how to make the perfect boiled egg? Seems like such a simple task to boil an egg yet I boiled my eggs wrong for many years. I like my eggs cooked firm but not over done. Runny yolk? Eww no way! A while back when we were at the cabin with my family, one of my daughter in laws who is a decent cook asked how to boil eggs.....seems she had never made boiled eggs without an egg 'cooker' before. My other daughter in law spoke up and said she always boiled them for at least 30 minutes or longer. 

With summer coming cool meals are desirable and boiled eggs can be used for egg salad, deviled eggs, an addition to other salads or just by themselves for a quick breakfast or snack. Perfect for lunch boxes too. Let me tell you how to boil the perfect egg.





Place your eggs in the bottom of a sauce pan and cover them completely with cold tap water. Cover the pan with a lid and place them on medium heat and bring to a gentle boil and boil 1-2 minutes. Leave the lid on but turn off the heat leaving them sit on the burner. Let them sit for 10-12 minutes. Pour off hot water and run cold water on them for a bit to cool them down some. 



See the pretty yellow yolk? The yolk does not have that dark or greenish ring around it that over cooked eggs have and they are not rubbery. These eggs are firm yet tender and cooked through. Of course everyone cooks a little different so experiment a little with timing and your eggs will be perfect too.



To peel them, I gently tap eggs on a flat surface all over to crack the shells into small pieces. Gently peel off the shell and rinse if needed. Here is a link for a fast way to shell an egg. I have tried his method and though it mostly worked for me, it also broke my whites sometimes. I think the way I do it is just as good. 

Update: There are some wonderful tips in the comments so read them too! 

I link at these parties. 




Copyright © 2013 by Hill House Homestead ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for that, I've never done the boil for 1-2 minutes then sit for 10-12 minutes method. I usually just boil them for about 8 minutes.

    I have also heard, if you add a teaspoon of bicarb soda to the water, they peel easily too.

    Cheers - Joolz xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this exactly, however, I found it still rough to peel most times, so I add vinegar & salt and perfect eggs like yours and easy to peel.

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think peeling eggs is usually the challenge. I read somewhere that if you keep the eggs in water until you peel them they peel very easy -- every time! And it works! Grampy insists on tuna sandwiches with hard boiled egg for his lunch every work day and I never ever have a problem peeling them anymore. SO glad eggs aren't getting a bad rap anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post. I used to work in a restaurant where we made egg salad constantly. Peeling hard boiled eggs was a daily chore. We found that very fresh eggs were harder to peel, so use older ones. This was our method for super-easy peeling: After cooking the eggs, place them in a large bowl filled with water and ice cubes. Completely submerge the eggs. Allow them to cool until very cold and then peel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are good tips to know! Thanks for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me of the way my mom taught me. Great reminder as I don't always do it as she said. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this looks great! Would love for you to stop over by my blog, where I share many recipes also :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Connie. Thanks for sharing! Have to confess, sometimes I just don't care and let that 'grey-green' ring appear around the yolk. Am I bad?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Rose. I love eggs and we have it like almost everyday. But I never pay attention to any particular details like 'grey-green' ring around the yolk. Great sharing, anyway. :) I hope to read about how to cook a perfect soft-boiled eggs. I failed miserably every time.

      -Honeybee @herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com

      Delete
  9. Hmmm, I'll have to try this! I recently tried steaming the eggs - which worked great - but this looks even easier! (Visiting from Creative Ways Link Party at Posed Perfection)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say that you would think it would be a no brainer but it is difficult to cook eggs. My sister got me a egg cooker thermometer and I use that. I will definitely be trying your technique. Thank you for sharing it on our Four Seasons Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome tip! Pinned! Thanks for being part of our party. Please come and show off on Monday at 7 pm. We would love it! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/
    Happy Saturday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tip! I love hard boiled eggs, but I do get a bit put off by the green ring ;-) Thanks for sharing at my Creative Ways Link Party! Hope you'll be back with more great posts this week!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use to boil my eggs for 15 minutes. That's how my mom did it growing up. I heard about this method and now that's how I always do it. Perfect boiled egg! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! Thank you for sharing this at our HomeAcre Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! You've been Featured on Wicked Awesome Wednesday! Thank you for the details on the basics! We didn't all learn at Momma's knee!!

    Feel free to pop by the website and pick up your "I've Been Featured!" button!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this recipe but one thing can I added salt in boiled water for boiling eggs? Thanks for this amazing instruction again. keep sharing with us.
    how long to boil eggs

    ReplyDelete

Gosh I love to read your comments! Thanks for leaving one :)