See something that looks familiar here? Perhaps you saw it first over at Family Home and Life, my other blog.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Patriotic Wreath

This was first posted at Family Home and Life, my other blog.



You would think that in all my crafting years I would have made several wreaths, but no, this was the first. I really wanted to have something patriotic for the Fourth of July, but I was tired of my same 'ole things. I decide a wreath was what I needed. I choose to not hang it outside but to hang it from an old door I have inside. I like it, it is westerny...yes... but also very 4th of July. 

I started with a pool noodle from the dollar store. These noodles are usually smaller and shorter than other noodles; this one is right at 4 feet long. I twisted an empty toilet paper roll to fit into the noodle opening then holding the ends together (you can use any cardboard - even from food boxes) then I taped it well. If this was going to go outside, I would have used a sturdier tape like duct tape. 



I tore white fabric with a faint pattern on it for interest into three strips, apx. 3 inches wide; they are about 3 1/2-4 feet long. I wanted the texture if the torn edge but it could be cut. First I taped down one end of the strip to the pool noodle, then I wound the white fabric around my pool noodle wreath base covering apx. 1/3 of it. Next, using red bandannas (because I already had them) I wound them around the next third of the noodle. I could have cut them in half, but I am a cheapskate and wanted them left whole in case I want to use them again for something else.


Last I used denim scrapes from the denim jeans leftovers (see my denim projects here); a strip down the leg side and two top bands. I like the texture the seams added.  As I wrapped it I made sure the edges and parts I wanted to show were left uncovered and positioned right. I used tape on the ends to secure it tightly. Tape is a good way to audition the placement before committing to glue.  If I were putting this outside, I would use hot glue to secure it and remove my tape. I made sure all the taped ends were on the back out of sight.


Lastly, I cut out stars from felt, stitched around them with a little stuffing on the inside. Here is where I found the idea for the stars.  I pushed a pipe cleaner/chenille stem inside the stars and then tucked the other end of the pipe cleaner/chenille stem under a fabric flap. I used a pipe cleaner strip in the back to hang it from too. I have to say I really like my wreath but after looking at it awhile, I think it needs two or three more stars, a couple of them larger than what I already have, then it will be perfect. I just need to go buy more felt. 







Hill House Homestead is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Copyright © 2017 by Hill House Homestead ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

19 comments:

  1. Cool idea. I like to use up old denim! I hope you can share this at What'd You Do This Weekend? next Monday. So original.

    Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda
    www.tumbleweedcontessa.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way your wreath combines the western look with a patriotic feel! Pool noodles have become a staple of crafting - and I'm so glad Dollar Tree offers them, even in a skimpier size because that's often exactly what you need!- and the price is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! I have denim scraps that'd be perfect for a Red, White and Blue craft. Visiting from Made By You Mondays party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great wreath I like how you used the denim pieces! I would love for you to come over
    and link at The Red, White and Blue party. It's over here:
    http://myjourneyback-thejourneyback.blogspot.com/2017/06/red-white-blue-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fantastic. I love the variety of pattern and trxture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fun and festive wreath for summer! Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your upcycled patriotic wreath at Sew It Cook It Craft It, you're one of my features tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clever idea. Added to my Pinterest queue. Thanks for sharing at the To Grandmas House We Go link party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! What a fun way to upcyle the denim. Thanks for sharing at Brag About It. We'll be featuring this at this week's party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for joining us at the Inspiration Spotlight party.Awesome DIY.

    ReplyDelete
  11. VERY cute and love the re-purposing of jeans. Featuring when my party opens up tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your wreath is great. Easy to put together and inexpensive, two things I need a wreath to be. Will probably use a blue bandanna for blue part and not sure yet about white part,maybe some white muslin, then of course a red bandanna, use what I have at home. Just thinking maybe have jeans for blue part, sometimes forget what I have in stash. This looks fun to make, will be nice to have something new for patriotic decorations.
    Have wonderful rest of weekend Greatwreath

    ReplyDelete

Gosh I love to read your comments! Thanks for leaving one :)