See something that looks familiar here? Perhaps you saw it first over at Family Home and Life, my other blog.

Monday, January 13, 2014

Long Time No See & Pear Vinegar

Well I have had a vacation haven't I? I really didn't mean to go so long without a post. It all started, my time away I mean, when I made some changes to our internet/cable service. There was a problem with the internet line and it would let me on for about 5 minutes before it would kick me off. I would have to wait a couple of hours and try again only to get the same treatment. 





Then, we were on round 3 of passing a virus around, Christmas had come, and I was just plain tired! So I decided to stay offline for a while waiting for it to be fixed and that turned into a loooong time! But it was a needed rest and I feel better. Having a hard time getting back to a groove though I must say. 

Lots going on around here. I will be writing a post soon to show you what I made for the kids for Christmas this last year. I have a new child I am caring for 1-2 days a week, a sweet 3 month old little girl that is a cousin to my grandkids. That has definitely changed up our routines! 

I am trying to make pear vinegar. I successfully made a small jar of apple vinegar and wanted to try pears. If anyone out there knows about making vinegar from scratch I would appreciate some input on this. The above pic is the beginning pic.



I have strained the fruit solids from it and it has now been fermenting for 5 weeks.



This is what is floating on top.....basically the mother on the pear vinegar is very strange looking. It is wrinkly and not as solid as the apple vinegar one either. It smells like pear vinegar, very nice, but because of that stuff on top I am a little nervous to try it. What do you think? Will it kill me if I taste it?



I have my 2 horse trough gardens doing rather well for this time of the year. It is Arizona folks. I have covered it a handful of times at night. One is salad greens and the other has garlic, beets and Swiss chard. 

I will be back soon with another post on my recent projects. Thanks y'all for stopping by.

I link at these parties.



Copyright © 2013 by Hill House Homestead ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

20 comments:

  1. I think it's good to take a break. I made basil vinegar, but actually it was vinegar infused with basil. I'll be interested to learn more about the process. I'm jealous you have a baby to care for. I have twin grandsons, but don't get to se them as often as I'd like.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to take care of a baby, love to hold them and rock. It is challenging though with 3 other 2 yr olds though! Oops! Forgot one of them is 3 now :)

      Delete
  2. give some to your husband first and see what happens, lol ...

    Seriously I'd never heard of pear vinegar before! :) I'd assume you strain off the foamy stuff...not sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL You and Debra are so funny! I have never heard of pear vinegar either so I'm unable to offer advice. I admire your spunkiness for trying it though!
    Seeing your little salad garden is causing me conflict! I am trying to be happy for you, but on the other hand I am so envious! The street in front of my house is a skating rink - no cute little leafy heads poking up around here for me to pluck at dinner time!
    Can't wait to see what you hand made for the grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I don't envy you that skating rink! We will trade weather stories come July around here ;)

      Delete
  4. I too have never heard of pear vinegar. You are so smart! I pinned it. We have been passing around a bug in my house too. It is mainly a head sinus/cold YUCK!!! It just does not seem to get better.

    Thank you so much for stopping by and linking up to Saturday Dishes.
    Blessings,
    Daine Roark
    www.recipesforourdailybread.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of pear vienegar before either but it sounds interesting! :) I'm glad you had a break and are back to blogging, best wishes to you. Linking up from http://www.aglimpseinsideblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of pear vinegar, Connie. Do you feel reinvigorated after your break? I took a short one too, (although not forced, I was healthy) and I'm ready to go.(like it or not!)
    Looking forward to more of your creations. Hope your week has been fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Love the idea of making this.. Sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for bringing your vinegar to Family Fun Friday! Great idea! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never made my own vinegar! Very interesting! Thanks for linking to the Weekend re-Treat Link Party! xo, S.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back! I have never heard of pear vinegar. Very interesting! I can't wait till I have greens in my garden. As of now, just snow. lol! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this idea, thanks for sharing! I am doing a giveaway today and would love if you would stop by and check it out! http://www.thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not going to say I never heard of pear vinegar, but I haven't. Have you Googled images of the film on the top which looks like a rippled SCOBY? Personally I don't see any signs of mold or discoloration, I would try it. Thanks for sharing on Tuesdays With a Twist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is amazing, Im a true Natural fanatic, I make stuff for my hair and skin, you have s ome wonderful ideas and recipes

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like the vinegar is safe. Thanks for sharing and glad you're feeling better! Thanks for sharing on The HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your Pear Vinegar at my Shine a Spotlight Linky Party this week. Thanks for stopping by and sharing and be sure to stop by again on Saturday. —Deb at DialMforMoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you're feeling better! I haven't heard of pear vinegar. I hope it works out! Thanks for linking to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Pear Vinegar sounds really good. I always make my own apple cider vinegar and will have to try this one. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

Gosh I love to read your comments! Thanks for leaving one :)